Thursday, September 08, 2005

Am I the Gargamel of the Group?

I had my first trip in the Community Car last night. And I’ve never felt so surrounded by squishy liberalism in my life.

Being both car-less and roommate-with-car-less this year, I’ve enrolled in the Community Car program. Basically you pay something like $8/hour for the use of community vehicle – and this $8 includes gas, insurance, maintenance, and everything. Really, it’s quite ideal for me. Especially because the rate goes down to $1/hour after midnight.

The whole thing screams nice liberalness, though. The cars are hybrids. People join for the “feeling of community.” Much depends on everyone nicely doing their part. They even have a hat and gloves stowed in the trunk just in case you need to scrape the car in the winter and have forgotten your own.

As sometimes occurs in Madison, the whole thing makes me feel like the conservative grump of the group – even though I am generally neither conservative nor a grump. I guess it's just the contrary naysayer deep within me. Existential eye rolls are kind of my thing.

4 Comments:

Blogger J.Po said...

I love that the CC provides a hat and gloves, just in case. Are the hand-knit from organic cotton, like mine?

Liberals rock.

1:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Press Releases
New York Sept. 8, 2005 -- Orphans International Worldwide announced today that Orphans International America will partner with a local organization south of New Orleans to create "Orphans International New ...
Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a earn residual income site. It pretty much covers earn residual income related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

1:43 PM  
Blogger Stacey Pelika said...

Community Car sent me a birthday postcard hand-signed by all three of the employees. And when I went to get a car for the first time, the guy who had it in front of me pointed out that someone who wasn't very "civicly minded" had parked in our official spot. So yes, I feel the liberal squishy vibe as well. That said, the Honda Civic hybrid is a sa-weet vehicle.

4:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Squeeshy feelings of community aside (eww), this makes me long for Madison. I've read about these services, and it seems like such a great idea. Especially for grad students. Stupid New Haven.

I am curious as to how the service works, so keep me posted.

7:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home