Monday, September 12, 2005

How Short Is Too Short?

I think it may be time to find a new barbershop.

I mean, I do like the current place. It’s very close to campus. It’s cheap ($12). They recognize me and say hello. It’s an old, established place with a nice small-town feel.

But…

Although I managed to avoid the old guy today (who knows no other hairstyle than “The Marine”), the lady I did get paid not much heed to my pleas of “I’d rather it not be very short.”

“Just a trim?” she said.

“Yes, indeed,” I said, thinking that I had properly conveyed the lack-of-shortness that I keenly desired.

Instead, although I avoided “The Marine,” I believe I ended up with something approximating “The National Guard.” It’s way too short. As always.

And that’s not the only problem. There’s also the whole weird haircutter selection process.

You walk in and all of the available employees shuffle over to their chairs with their eyes cast downward. You are then to select just one haircutter in a process that feels… uncomfortable. It’s like something between picking just one puppy to spare from imminent destruction at the Humane Society and choosing a nighttime companion in some sleazy European red-light district. It always makes me all awkward and stammery.

So I think I need a new place. Although this may be one of those things where I think about finding a new place but end up never deciding on a new place and instead just deal with ultra-short hair once every five-ish weeks. We’ll see.

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I think blog is informative as well and dont't want you to stop too. Must pay me regular monthly intervals, however.

I'm no help on the barber front, though. I've cut my own hair since early in college - just a #2 guard and a towel to catch the droppings. I let it grow for three or four months after that - until it gets sufficiently ridiculous-looking with my balding spot and receding hairline.

9:50 PM  
Blogger Stacey Pelika said...

Hair on Monroe. Almost everyone I know goes there - including at least one guy. It's about 3x the price you're currently paying, though...

10:32 PM  
Blogger grrrbear said...

OMG I was also *totally* just thinking how informative this blog was! Whoda thunk we'd all be thinking the same thing at the same time? Scary...

I'm also in the self-cutting camp, but I like it short so I do it about every two weeks down to #1. I suppose that puts me somwhere in the area of "Delta Force".

7:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aside from the deaf guy at Regis at the MOA who gave you a great style, cheap cuts are cheap for a reason. I say it's time to suck it up and find a real stylist, T-bone!

9:40 AM  
Blogger Annie said...

Short hair looks good. Besides, you can wait longer between cuts!

8:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home