Friday, July 29, 2005

Fashion 911

I'm at a loss.

My weekend will be spent in Chicago celebrating the 29th birthday of my old college roommate. This will be fun. However, my confusion relates to the instructions I have received regarding what it is that I need to bring. Besides a swimming suit, the only clearly specified items are "dress shoes and a button-up shirt so that we can get into the clubs."

Much as one often has no idea what "dress casually" means in wedding-speak, I am clueless as to what these "dress shoes" are supposed to be. What kind of crazy clubs are there in Chicago that would require me to don my shiny black tuxedo shoes? Or is this just code for "bring something other than your g-nasty old sneakers"? I discussed the issue with another attendee who has decided that the tuxedo shoes are the way to go, but this seems utterly ridiculous to me.

So what do I bring? True, fancy dress shoes? Loafer-style brown shoes? Trendy black quasi-sneakers? HELP!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wear the nicest shoes you have. It seems that these places will make up anything on the spot if they don't like you and will turn you away for any reason if you don't fit their club mold. Not that you don't have many wonderful qualities, but these "qualities" have to be judged within 2 secs as the bouncer eyes you at the door. Go with the tux shoes. Leave the flip flops for the pool. Or skip these clubs altogether.

What will you order at the bar?

11:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm thinking that perhaps you feel it may be "utterly ridiculous" because that's going to be too dressy. If I'm mistaken, apologies in advance.
If I'm on the right track though, here's advice for the taking or leaving. Yin and Yang it. Mix up the casual and the dressy.
Either :
1. go fancy black shoes, light weight denim jeans and a crisp white button-up shirt (always classic , cool but not overly trendy.)
or,
2. cool (non-gnast) sneakers, some hip pants (I'm thinking corduroy if you have any), and a fitted short sleeve shirt, or again the crisp white.

I would probably just overpack and take both shoes and see what the rest of the group looks like when you all get ready that night. But I have a feeling that you are somehow far more efficient than I am.
hmmmm.. i can't decide if that's good or bad for me right now.

Anyway, as long as the shoes aren't falling apart, it will probably be quite dark outside the club, so I'm far more inclined to believe that the focus will be on a man's shirt rather than his shoes.

One note of caution, if by Tux shoes, you mean shiny, avoid this at all costs.

Shiny, no.
Hipster Olenelson, yes.

And have fun, and never mind the bouncer. Well.. perhaps you should mind him (since he can probably kick some ass), but never mind him if he acts too big for his fashion britches.

5:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great minds think alike! I promise that B-lish and I did not discuss your fashion emergency until just this moment (10pm). So not only was my advice great because it was from me. But its also great because its been confirmed by the wonderfully fashionable B-lish. Hope your bag isn't too heavy!

8:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home