Sunday, October 09, 2005

Is Tom Cruise an Adult?

Goodness, I’ve been bad about blogging lately. This is not, however, because I have stopped obsessing about blog-able issues. Harriet Miers intrigue? Obsessed. Possible Karl Rove indictment? Obsessed. TomKat spawnage? Obsessed. Lindsay Lohan car crash? Obsessed.

I guess I’m just not finding an angle to offer on any of these delicious stories. And at the same time I’m too busy obsessing about them to do anything interesting myself. A conundrum indeed.

I have had a few interesting conversations, though, about when one can really be considered an “adult.” Being a perpetual student myself, I do occasionally wonder whether it is possible to be both “student” and “adult” at the same moment. But if I’m not an “adult” at 29 years of age, what in the world am I?

Anyway, three hypotheses have been offered in these conversations regarding the achievement of adulthood.

1. American males are adults when they hang guest towels of their own accord.
2. American males are adults when they successfully learn to RSVP to weddings and other formal occasions.
3. One is an adult when one really accepts oneself for who one is.

Despite the smurfiness of number three, I kind of like it. Although I guess an entire other question would be whether I can be an adult and still obsess about the hilarity of Tom Cruise’s unborn child with Katie Holmes. God, I hope so.

1 Comments:

Blogger grrrbear said...

You may have to add a correlary to provide unlimited postponements to adulthood if one associated one's self with Scientology. Anyone who believes that aliens are involved with humanity cannot be taken seriously as an adult.

9:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home