Monday, March 27, 2006

Project: Find a Project

After the only slightly qualified successes of Project Favorite Drink and Project Vegetable last year (and many projects in prior years), I am currently in search of a new project for the new season.

So far, I am considering the following:

Project Learn a Martial Art: Could be fun, but I don’t even know enough about martial arts to have any idea about which martial art I would pick. Also, I have absolutely no desire to kick/punch anyone or be kicked/punched by anyone. Nor do I really want to kick or punch at all. Really, I mainly just like the idea of doing a martial art.

Project Try to Like Baseball: I have a theory that one’s likes and dislikes are to a substantial degree determined by the effort one puts into them. By this theory, the only reason I currently find baseball mind-blowingly dull (both in person and on television) is that I haven’t yet put enough work into liking it. The same could well apply to golf and cats.

Project Cleanse My System: I admit to being intrigued by all of those two-week diets where you eat nothing but juice or carrots or something and allegedly empty your body of all impurities and have moments of complete clarity. Might be an intriguing experiment. And it would be a real test of my will (or lack thereof). Especially since the diet would probably disallow coffee (a.k.a. life-giving nectar).

Project Bake Much Bread: To complement my soup project of yore, it might be nice to learn the fine art of bread baking. But I’m not sure I have the patience. Or the capacity to eat very much bread. And I’m a little afraid of turning into Daniel Day-Lewis and eventually fleeing to Italy to pretentiously make shoes for a decade.

Project Learn the Espanol: I happily gave up the Spanish language after my freshman year at Olaf, but I still kind of regret it. But I’m not sure I like the idea of a project that involves studying (especially since last year’s project involved drinking).

No decision yet, but I will continue to ponder.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you want a good book on making bread, I suggest The Tassajara Bread Book. It has easy-to-follow directons on making a good, basic loaf. Plus it has all kinds of great recipes, too, including a decent Swedish Tea Ring and the absolute-best breakfast item ever: “Apple Pancake Sam.”

But whatever you do, don’t do a cabbage-based diet. You will be remembered for your awful, awful stench

4:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i've read that the cleansing diets are somewhat of a joke since we have kidneys, etc to do that for us regularly, and why would you want to give up the good beverages with alcohol after all that research last year. seems like a waste.

how about a musical instrument? otherwise, espanol seems like a good challenge. and i'm also going to vote for the martial arts for my own amusement in the hopes that you'll demonstrate your skills at some point.

9:44 AM  
Blogger J.Po said...

I'd go with 'cleanse the system'. Perhaps the cabbage soup diet? A co-worker tried that once and claimed absolute exhaustion by day 9. Sounds like a hoot.

If you decide to venture into bread-making, setting a rule for quick breads (i.e. - banana, pumpkin, zucchini, etc) will make it a hell of a lot easier! Try to avoid starters. Yikes.

12:26 PM  
Blogger Stacey Pelika said...

I vote for martial art. Then you could reenact the Michael/Dwight showdown on "The Office." Or, if you're really adverse to kicking/hitting others, you could take up Tai Chi and spend a lot of time with the elderly, which would be a bonus project all its own ("Project Spend Time with the Elderly").

1:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home