Monday, October 24, 2005

Are Apples the New Pistachios?

Something strange is brewing in the wind.

So I was in the midst of a last-minute panic session regarding my phone interview tomorrow (gulp!) when I decided that I simply MUST have apples. Yes, at midnight. And no, I’m not pregnant or anything -- just prone to panic binges. Fortunately, a community car was available and I trekked down to Woodman’s with the other strange and scraggly men of the night.

The oddities, though, began on my walk back down State Street, apples in hand. As usual, I was quickly approached by a homeless-looking man.

“Hey, my man.”

“Yes.”

“My man. You got two papers?”

“Huh?”

“Two papers? You got them?”

“No.”

What in the world was he talking about? Two papers? Did he have an insatiable desire to read the latest Maureen Dowd column without paying the ridiculous TimesSelect fee? Was he asking for money? In paper form? Was it about… drugs? I must be really naïve because I have NO idea.

Then, still scratching my head after that encounter, a guy in a nearby car called me over and gestured directly at my bag of apples.

“[Indecipherable]?”

“Huh?”

“You got a couple beers in there for me?”

“No.”

What is going on? Random people driving cars and asking me for beer? Other strangers desperately in need of two papers? Is this a good or bad omen for tomorrow’s interview?

I’m going to go eat a few apples.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

If I'm going to make witty comments about the way these seemingly-unrelated(and the poltergeist things) are actually part of a pattern, you've gotta give me a little more to work with!

Good luck with the interview! Shalom!

8:33 AM  
Blogger Stacey Pelika said...

Yes, it was about drugs!

And mazel tov on the interview. L'chaim!

10:36 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Why does you blog still say 1 comment for this post? I'm going to try to bump it up to 3.

11:47 PM  
Blogger Annie said...

Ole Ole, where have you gone?

8:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home