Thursday, January 26, 2006

Blame Canada!

So I had my first discussion sections of the semester yesterday, and I did my usual thing where I ask the students to tell me either an international issue that interests them or a television show from which they derive guilty pleasure.

They all chose the latter (not that I can blame or judge them on that point).

And in the midst of all of the heartfelt defenses of Grey’s Anatomy, that Flava Flav show, and old-school Seinfeld (as well as one student [nerd] who “only watches Frontline”), came my Japanese foreign exchange student who is enamored with South Park.

“Why?”

“Because I like to better understand Americans and how they view people from Canada.”

Oh, how embarrassing for us. Because he was completely serious.

Next thing you know, America’s attitudes toward great literature will be assessed by an episode of Paris Hilton: True Hollywood Story.

3 Comments:

Blogger Stacey Pelika said...

I must say that the resemblance between my Canadian housemate and Terrance & Philip is just stunning. The farts, the beedy eyes, the whole thing.

3:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i don't want to say that we should invade canada, but thinking back to all the canadians i've met in my travels, i don't think it would be a bad idea...

7:47 AM  
Blogger grrrbear said...

Don't forget those floppy heads, Spice. And their love of hockey.

8:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home