Thursday, August 11, 2005

Yes, I Yelled at Three People Yesterday

Short version: I had to deal with both U-Haul employees and cable TV folk. Enough said.

Long version: After a frustrating morning during which I was promised four phone calls from U-Haul and received zero phone calls from U-Haul, I finally got to pick up my truck (to move a friend to Chicago). The following conversation took place with the rotating circus of 19-year-olds employed by the U-Haul location.

“So, waninsurwithat?

“What?”

“Do you want insurance with that?”

“Oh. Yes, of course.”

“The insurance covers any damage to the truck or any injury to you.”

“What about liability insurance?”

“What?”

“What about insurance for if I get in an accident and hit someone else?”

“Oh. We don’t have that.”

“Huh?”

“We don’t have that.”

“Huh? What if I get in an accident?”

“You call the police and fill out an accident report.”

“No. After that.”

“Oh. They sue you. I wouldn’t worry, though. People hardly ever get into accidents.”

“Huh?”

“Listen. I’ve worked here for one year. We. Don’t. Have. Liability. Insurance.”

“But I don’t have insurance of my own, and I am NOT going to drive a truck to Chicago without any liability insurance.”

“You don’t have your own insurance?”

“No.”

“Well, I’m not even sure we can rent to you then.”

“WHAT???”

At this point, he calls his corporate office to get a second opinion. The conversation then continues.

“OK. We can rent to you, and if you get in an accident, you’ll just work something out with corporate where you pay part and they pay part.”

“WHAT IN THE WORLD IS GOING ON??? THIS IS NOT RIGHT. I’M GOING TO CALL ‘CORPORATE’ MYSELF!!!”

I then call the national office on my cell phone. The lady who answers tells me, “Duh. Of course we have liability insurance. It comes automatically. It’s the law. You’re covered.” I roll my eyes, take a deep breath, and just get the keys from the 19-year-old.

Are there any employees of any organization ever who are more consistently incompetent than U-Haul employees? I think not.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home