Thursday, December 08, 2005

Grammy Nominations: Not Entirely Terrible

Obviously, as these are the Grammy’s, the nominations are mostly terrible.

But I must give a limited amount of R-E-S-P-E-C-T. Lots of nominations for Kanye and for John Legend, for instance. In fact four out of the five Record of the Year noms are quite respectable: Gold Digger (K. West), Boulevard of Broken Dreams (G. Day), Feel Good Inc. (Gorillaz), and We Belong Together (M. Carey).

The biggest problem, however, lies in the fifth choice for Record of the Year. A choice that is purely B-A-N-A-N-A-S.

God. Stupid Gwen Stefani. I used to like her. But I simply cannot abide that terrible pirate/Fiddler on the Roof song (nor can I abide the notion that there even IS a “pirate/Fiddler on the Roof” song). And I HATE the nominated “Hollaback Girl.” Like her, it is the essence of faux.

There are, of course, many other terrible nominations (I’m looking in your urine-stained direction, Black-Eyed Peas!). More noteworthy, however, is the unintentional humor of some of the lesser categories. For instance, there is an entire award for “Best Surround Sound Album.” Huh?

And the nominees for “Best Hawaiian Music Album (vocal or instrumental)” are as follows: “Slack Key Dreams of the Ponomoe”; “Kiho’alu – Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar”; “Slack Key Guitar: The Artistry of Sonny Lim”; and “Masters of Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar: Volume 1.”

Hee. I would be mighty pissed were I an established Hawaiian acoustic guitarist.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Wow - no love for "My Humps"? Those Grammy people really are out of touch.

But these folks don't like it either I guess - http://www.cokemachineglow.com/feature/article/message.html

"For within this simple “pop song” (as many would defend this) there lies the very subversion of pop music, a depraved attempt to destroy our common cultural heritage. Think of this song’s meaninglessness as a vacuum, a black hole."

1:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm pretty OK with the Grammy nods as well. Is there any chance that Feel Good Inc. would win Record of the Year?? That would rock so hard.

But yes --- absolutely horrified that Hollaback Girl was nominated. That would win my Golden Raspberry for Worst Song of the Year. Have high school cheerleaders suddenly formed a voting bloc among eligible Grammy voters???

6:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home